Smokey Beef Ribs With Chilli-Mushroom Rub
- 12 long beef ribs (also called prime ribs)
- 2 tbl American yellow mustard
- Coarse kosher salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbl black peppercorns
- 1 tbl dried mushrooms (ideally chanterelle, though use porcini or shiitake if unavailable)
- 1 tbl chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup apple juice in a spray bottle
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup of any fruit jelly (i.e. cranberry)
1 cups of Broil King Mesquite woodchips
- Heat the Broil King Keg to 105°c–121°c. While this is heating, soak the mesquite wood chips in water for 30 minutes.
- Rub the ribs with the yellow mustard, and give them a light drizzle of oil and season with salt. Grind the pepper, mushrooms and cumin seeds until fine, then combine with the chilli powder and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle this rub over the ribs and massage into the meat. Let the ribs sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the wood chips to the smoker and fill diffuser tray with water. Add the ribs, close the lid and smoke for 4–5 hours. Spray liberally with the apple juice mop every 30 minutes. When the internal temperature of the ribs reaches 57°c, open the vents on the keg. Baste the ribs with glaze and grill until the ribs have crisped up.
- Finally, wrap tightly in foil and place on smoker, with the vents closed, for another 45 minutes.