Cranberry & Pear Crumble Pie
- Sweet shortcrust pastry for 23cm single crust pie
- 4 cups ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbl quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat your BBQ to HIGH (220°c).
- Roll out pastry to fit into a 23cm pie plate (or whatever you have handy). Trim and flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, cranberries and orange rind. Mix together the granulated sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and coriander. Sprinkle spices over fruit and toss to mix. Spoon fruit mixture into pie shell, and sprinkle with almonds.
- For the topping, using a pastry blender, combine flour, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Using the indirect cooking method, place the cake on the grill and bake at 220°c for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 175°c, and bake 45 minutes longer or until crust is golden and juices bubble around edge. Cool on rack and serve with ice cream.